Invitation To Team Of Professional Gas Workers. Young Gas Engine

Do You Need To Call A Commercial Or Domestic Gas Engineer?

When the building feels colder than it should, or there is a funny smell coming from the cooker, you need to get in touch with a gas engineer straight away, but the question is – should you call a commercial gas engineer or a domestic one?

Commercial gas engineer

It is important to make the right call in emergency situations, as you will need an expert to come over and repair the problem as soon as possible to avoid further, potentially more serious, repercussions. 

Commercial and domestic engineers, though they both work with gas pipes, are trained to operate and fix different types of boilers, pipework, and appliances, so you need a professional who is qualified for the equipment you have. 

  • Type of building

For a start, consider the type of building you have. If it is a residential house with a normal domestic boiler, you do not need a commercial gas engineer. 

However, if your building is large, used for commercial purposes, and the boiler or gas appliance output is greater than 70kW, you do. This is also the case if the manufacturer regards the gas pipework or equipment to be for commercial use.

  • Type of boiler

If, however, you have a commercial premises, but a domestic gas appliance has been fitted in it, this is a different matter. 

In this circumstance, the classification of the appliance is what is important and how many there are. For instance, a single domestic boiler in a restaurant or cafe only requires someone who has a domestic gas registration to repair it. 

However, if there are several domestic appliances in one building, and together they have an output of more than 70kW in one room, this is a different story. This is known as a plant room, and someone who has qualifications and registrations to handle both domestic and commercial gas appliances needs to be called in. 

  • Size of the gas meter

Another factor that determines who you need to call in an emergency is the size of the gas meter. A building that has a meter larger than a U16 needs a gas engineer who has a commercial registration. 

For anything smaller than this, a domestic gas engineer will suffice. 

  • Size of the gas pipework 

The size of the gas pipework also plays a part in establishing who can make repairs. Someone with a domestic gas qualification only is not legally allowed to work on gas pipework that has a diameter larger than 35mm. 

Furthermore, they cannot make repairs or replacements on pipework where the total volume of the gas installation is greater than 0.035 cubic metres. 

  • Commercial appliances

As well as determining whether the boiler and pipework are considered to be commercial, it is important to check all the other appliances that use gas too. 

In a commercial kitchen, for instance, this could include the stove, grill and oven, which are likely to be bigger, and of a superior quality compared with domestic appliances to fulfil their operational demands. 

Leisure centres that need to heat up pools; large buildings with strong air conditioning units or radiators; and premises that require furnaces are all likely to have certified commercial gas appliances. Therefore, these need to be checked over by someone who is qualified as a commercial gas engineer. 

What is the difference between a domestic and commercial gas engineer?

Aside from knowing they perform distinctive roles, not many people know what the differences between a commercial and domestic gas engineer are. 

Firstly, they have contrasting qualifications, so you cannot hire a domestic gas engineer to repair or replace commercial appliances and vice versa. 

Domestic engineers are trained to install boilers, handle regular services, and are called for emergency repairs. However, commercial ones have a more diverse skill set, as they have to handle a larger variety of appliances and for different types of premises, such as airports, schools, office buildings, and factories. 

Both will be used for installations, servicing, repairs and emergencies, but the types of pipes and appliances, and the scale of the jobs will be vastly different. 

Therefore, it is essential companies call out the right type of engineer for their buildings’ needs, depending on the type of appliances and gas output they have, as well as their actual premises. 

Otherwise, they will not receive the appropriate service they require, which could have disastrous consequences.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.